Is Your Sunscreen Toxic?
February 15, 2018 8:08 am
The sun came to our city and with it, the use of sunscreens. We know that the sun’s rays do more damage than before and for this reason many doctors recommend using sunscreen daily. When we apply creams on our bodies without knowing what they contain, we run the risk of absorbing harmful ingredients that can generate adverse effects on our skin.
What ingredients should we avoid?
- Oxybenzone – It damages our body and marine ecosystems.
It is a known endocrine disruptor. Acts as an estrogen in the body and studies have linked it to abnormal sperm function in animals and endometriosis in women’s studies
* For more information read this link: twenergy
- Methylisothiazolinone or methylisothiazolinone
It causes allergic reactions on the skin.
- Retinyl Palmitate
It is a form of vitamin A that can damage the skin and possibly cause skin tumors.
What sunscreen should I use?
Dr. Ax in his article The Best Sunscreens shows us a list of the best and worst sunscreens we can use. Here below I give you 5 good options and 5 bad ones according to your list.
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 50
California Baby Super Sensitive Sunscreen, SPF 30+
Neutrogena pure & free baby SPF 50
Just Skin Food Natural & Organic Sunscreen, SPF30
Kiss My Face Organics Face & Body Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
- Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion Kids, SPF 70
- CVS Health Children’s Sunstick Sunscreen, SPF 55
- Equate Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen, SPF 60+
We must be alert with the ingredients of our sunscreens and look for healthy and natural options. It is recommended to be in the shade in the hours when the sun is strongest, wear hats, umbrellas and sunglasses.
I hope you find this post useful! We must not forget that the sun is a source of vitamin D and it is good to be exposed to it for a few minutes a day.
If you want to know more healthy lifestyle tips, follow me on Facebook and Instagram. :)