Cheddar Cheese Scones
January 25, 2017 9:36 am
Hi everyone!! Chef Lore here again <3! Today I bring you a recipe that’s super easy but at the same time it’s stunning. It’s perfect to make in the evening and have for breakfast the next day. Scones are a typical English bread that is characterized by having a crumbly crumb and be extra tasty. Usually they’re sweet, but since nothing in cooking is set in stone, we’re going to make them cheddar cheese flavoured. They’re amazing for a bit of butter and always warm.
Portions: 6 scones
– 250g all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 80g unsalted butter, cold and fresh from the fridge
– 1 egg
– 80ml milk (it can be skimmed)
– 50g cheddar cheese (ideally find one without colouring.. it’s meant to be normal yellow and not blinding yellow like the ones that have colouring) + a bit more for the top
– 5g de chives (optional)
1. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder. Then cut the butter in cubed and put it into the dry ingredients.
2. Using your fingers, push the butter into the flour. What we’re doing is coating the flour with the butter to get that crumbly crumb. Stop pinching the butter once it looks like wet sand.
3. Gate the cheese finely and cut the chives tiny. Mix with the rest of the dough.
4. Finally mix in the egg and the milk until even. If you have a food processor at home, then save time and do the butter and flour thing first, then add the rest until a dough forms.5. Now we stretch the dough only until it’s 3cm thick, and keep the square shape using your hands after stretching. Then I cut it in tringles. If you want you can also cut these in circles with a cookie cutter.
6. Grate a bit more cheese and put it on top. They go on a baking tray with baking paper and into the oven at 180C for 20min or until they are nice and golden.
Done! It’s the perfect idea for a family or friends breakfast, and something they will never forget, I guarantee it! I recommend that you reheat them in the oven (NEVER MICROWAVE) before eating :) I hope you liked them :)
Just as a reminder, you can see more recipes from me in my blog Cravings Journal and follow me on social media as @cravingsjournal. See you next time, Dolce Family!