February 7, 2018 8:53 am
If you like hot beverages such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. you have to try the combination with these biscotti. This italian cookie is really tasty, crunchy and it also has my favourite nut: almonds! The name biscotti means double cooking and that’s because we first bake them to get them golden on the outside and we then cut them and dry them out.
– 60g unsalted butter at room temperature
– 100g sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 170g all purpose flour
– 100g almonds chopped in large chunks
– 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. WHISK. Use a whisk to mix the butter at room temperature with the sugar until smooth.
2. ALL IN. Add the eggs and vanilla essence and whisk again. Ten add the dry ingredients and mixx using a spatula. Finally add the almond chunks and the dough is ready.
3. SO TIRED! Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for at least one hour. In this state it will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
4. FIRST BAKE. Put baking paper or silpat on top of an oven tray. Divide the dough in 2 and form 2 long rectangles of about 6cm wide and 1cm thick on top of the paper or silpat. They will spread out a bit in the oven so don’t place them too close to each other. They go into the oven at 160C for 30-40min or until they have a nice golden crust.
5. SECOND BAKE. Wait for the rectangles to cool down completely (if not it crumbles as you cut it) and cut thin slices using a sharp knife on a chopping board. Don’t use a serrated knife because it crumbles the biscotti. You want to make really assertive quick cuts with a sharp knife. If you take your time and are scared to cut them they will crumble (like cookies do). Now take these slices back into the oven for 30-40min but at 140C this time. If you want them to be golden all over you can have it at 160C for this stage as well, but I like them nice and white in the centre.
I hope you guys like this recipe! I’m a coffee lover and so I love these cookies. You know that if you want more recipes from me you can check out my blog Cravings Journal where I have many more recipes.